Friday, December 14, 2007

Feverish Conditions Lead to Behavioral Theorems

I was home sick a few days this week and I was determined to do everything I could to keep the germs to myself (I'm selfish that way). So, I washed my hands every 10 minutes and avoided my normal shenanigans with the kids. Jake was fine with it. He actually made some really cute comments in between going "kaboomy" with any number of his toys. But he was ok just kissing me on the elbow and with me not playing with him as much. Sadie seemed oblivious too, but she's a baby and she's a girl so all around she's harder to read. More complex, I should say.

Anyway, towards the end of the first day, Sadie started crawling over to where I was recuperating on the couch and climbing up the side to give me smiles. And then she just kind of hung out for a while. Looking at me with her happy little face. Like she knew something was up. She just doesn't do that with me. She'll use her on-board GPS system to locate Ali three rooms away, or climb up onto the first stair and patiently wait for Ali to come back downstairs, but I don't normally get that treatment.

So, I have two theories (comments welcomed):

Theorem 1: Sadie inherited Ali's CARE FOR ALL OTHERS FIRST gene, and she honed in on my discomfort, bypassing not one, but BOTH of Ali's pantlegs (her two favorite things in this whole wide world) to come and say "hi" to me with her smile.

Theorem 2: Sadie is exhibiting the (if I say "female" here, am I going to get in trouble?) tendency to inversely express interest in those that express interest in them. So, where she is normally nonchalant when I call her over to play, my hours of careful germ cloistering were interpreted as a signal of indifference, which in turn piqued her curiousity.

In any case, here's our subject enjoying a remarkably pleasant Friday afternoon in mid December (sorry about the middle-part, sweety. mommy was busy raking leaves):

1 comment:

Gram & Poppy said...

We go for theorem #1. She is a lot like her Mommy! She looks like her and as you have shown she has her "caring" gene. We would also say that this gene is obvious in her Daddy so it is not surprising that she would pick up on your needs.
Of course, maybe she is just curious.